- Research Activity
- Industrial and EU Research projects
- Past and Current National Research Grants
- Old projects with industry and EU
- Expert Advisor and Consultant
He is currently supervising the Ph.D. thesis of:
- Míriam Bellver (with Xavier Giro-i-Nieto form UPC)
- Amanda Duarte (with Xavier Giro-i-Nieto form UPC)
He has supervised the Ph.D. thesis of:
- Dr. Victor Campos (Research Scientist at DeepMind UK)
- Dr. Joan Capdevila Pujol (Machine Learning & Data Science at ZOE London)
- Dr. Cesare Cugnasco (CEO of Qbeast & Senior Researcher at BSC)
- Dr. Josep Ll. Berral (Senior Researcher at BSC)
- Dr. Jordi Guitart (Associate Professor at UPC)
- Dr. David Carrera (Co-Founder, CTO & Chairman @Nearby Computing)
- Dr. Vicenç Beltran (Senior Researcher at BSC)
- Dr. Ramon Nou (HPC Storage Systems Research Line Lead at BSC)
- Dr. Javier Alonso (Applied Machine Learning Scientist en Amazon Prime Air, USA)
- Dr. Iñigo Goiri (Research Software Development Engineer II at Microsoft, USA)
Visiting other research centers
He has been a visiting researcher at the “Center for Supercomputing Research & Development” Illinois en Urbana-Champaign (Illinois, USA, 1992) invited by professor David Padua (CSRD associate director). He has been invited to different universities and research centers over the years where he gives some talks:
- Coordinated Science Laboratory, University of Illinois (USA) , invited by Manish Gupta, 1992.
- Electrical and Computer Engineering, Louisiana University at Boton Rouge (USA) , invited by professor. J.R. Ramanujam, 1992.
- Computer Architecture department, Queens University at Belfast (Nord Ireland, UK), invited by professor Ron Perrot, 1994 and 1996.
- IBM T.J Watson Labs, New York (USA), invited by Jaime Moreno and Giovanni Pacifici, 2005.
- Department of computer Science at Rutgers University (USA), invited by Professor Ricardo Bianchini, 2007.
- Université Paul Sabatier, Toulouse (France), invited by Professor Jean-Marc Pearson, 2009.
- Dependable Systems group at Coimbra University (Portugal), invited by Dr. Luis Mouro Silva, 2010.
Industrial and EU Research projects
He has been involved in many projects with industry and EU Research and Technology Transfer
- Bancaixa-BSC : Aplicación de la computación cognitiva a la innovación financiera (2016- ).
- COMPOSE (Collaborative Open Market to Place Objects at your Service) (2012-2015). COMPOSE is a FP7-ICT-2011.1.2 (ref. 317862) EU Funded Project, coordinated by IBM Haifa (IL) with the following partners: CREATE-NET (IT), Fraunhofer Institute FOKUS (DE), The Open University (UK), Barcelona Supercomputing Center (ES), INNOVA S.p.A (IT), University of Passau (DE), U-Hopper (IT), GEIE ERCIM (W3C) (FR), Fundació Privada Barcelona Digital Centre Tecnològic (Bdigital) (ES), Abertis Telecom (ES), and EVRYTHNG (CH). COMPOSE aims at enabling new services that can seamlessly integrate real and virtual worlds through the convergence of the Internet of Services (IoS) with the Internet of Things (IoT). COMPOSE will achieve this through the provisioning of an open and scalable marketplace infrastructure, in which smart objects are associated to services that can be combined, managed, and integrated in a standardised way to easily and quickly build innovative applications.
- BSC – IBM BGAS SoW (2013-2016) is a joint research project between researchers at Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC) and the “Scalable Data Centric Computing” group at IBM Research – Watson Lab. This project aims at exploring systems and software strategies for leveraging in-memory key/value databases to accelerate data intensive tasks, with particular attention to the IBM BlueGene Active Storage (BGAS) architecture and the Scalable Key/value Store (SKV) as the key/value store.
- BSC – IBM Heterogeneous Clouds SoW (2013-2016) is a joint research project between researchers at Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC) and the “Middleware and Virtualization Management” group at IBM Research – Watson Lab. This is a project focused on building clouds which via their programmability at multiple layers and the embracing of hardware heterogeneity can host a variety workloads and can optimize resource configuration for these workloads. The project will explore the applicability of the so-called “Software Defined Environments (SDE)” to HPC workloads as it has been previously done with transactional and data analytics workloads.
- Aloja (2014-2016) ALOJA is project funded by Microsoft Research through the BSC- Microsoft Research Center (bscmsrc.eu) that aims to provide automated optimization to Hadoop’s performance under different hardware deployments options and software parameters. We are also exploring new hardware architectures, both on-premise or in the cloud (either IaaS or PaaS) and what is the best configuration option for a given Hadoop job (or job type). Part of the project includes a public (vendor neutral) Web platform with a repository of Hadoop benchmarks and data analysis tool. We currently have over 4500 Hadoop benchmark executions both from our local clusters as well as in Azure (IaaS), on which we base our research.
- EuroServer (FP7-ICT-2013-10 European Project, Grant Agreement no: 610456): Green Computing Node for European Micro-servers. Goal: Design and build a drastically improved energy- and cost-efficient solution suitable across both cloud data-centres and embedded application workloads. Our contribution: Optimise the local placement of Virtual Machines (VMs) within a physical node in a single Data Centre aiming for energy efficiency, by exploiting ARM low-power architectures
- RenewIT (FP7-SMARTCITIES-2013 European Project, Grant Agreement no: 608679): Advanced concepts and tools for renewable energy supply of IT Data Centres. Goal: Develop a simulation tool to evaluate energy performance of different technical solutions that integrate renewable energy supply in IT Data Centres. Our contribution: Optimise both the local placement of Virtual Machines (VMs) in physical nodes and the selection of Data Centre for remote placement of VMs aiming for ecological efficiency, by exploiting the usage of green energy and the interaction with energy supply and cooling systems
- ASCETiC (FP7-ICT-2013-10 European Project, Grant Agreement no: 610874): Adapting Service lifeCycle towards EfficienT Clouds. Goal: Definition and integration of explicit measures of energy and ecological requirements into the design and development process for software. Our contribution: Optimise both the local placement of Virtual Machines (VMs) in physical nodes and the selection of Data Centre for remote placement of VMs aiming for energy efficiency, by focusing on the interaction and information exchange among Cloud layers during the whole service lifecycle for better optimization
- Severo Ochoa Distinction(January 2012- January 2016): The Barcelona-Supercomputing Center-Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) has been accredited as Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence, the award with which the Spanish Ministry recognizes leading research centres in Spain and international reference organisations in their respective areas. The award will enable the execution of an ambitious research project which involves designing the hardware, software and applications to provide future solutions to the social challenges arising in health and climate change. Our contribution: provide the applications with resource management strategies according to their data management requirements and contribute to the design and development of an integrated stack of software to support the execution of the applications.
- Lightness: (FP7- Future Networks – 2012) Low latency and hIGH Throughput dynamic NEtwork infraStructures for high performance datacentre interconnects. Goal: design, implementation and experimental evaluation of a high-performance network infrastructure for data centres, where innovative photonic switching and transmission solutions are deployed. Our contribution: of the network usage of Big Data applications and detecting how optical networks can benefit the performance of this kind of applications
- BSC-CA: The main goal of this project is to provide methods, a decision support system, an open source IDE and run-time environment for the high-level design, early prototyping, semi-automatic code generation, and automatic deployment of applications on multi-Clouds with guaranteed QoS. Our contribution: Create an automatic text analysing tool able to extract QoS information about different cloud providers using public information obtained from different websites, such as stack overflow
- NUBA project (Normalized Usage of Business-oriented Architectures) (2009-2012). NUBA is a strategic research program (MITyC TSI-020301-2009-30) funded by the Avanza2 R&D Plan of the Spanish Ministry of Industry, Tourism and Trade and coordinated by Telefonica I+D with 8 partners. The aim of NUBA is to advance the state-of-the-art in business models and technology for the real-time deployment of federated Cloud platforms, integrating infrastructure from different providers, to execute elastic business services with the required QoS and minimizing the energy consumption. http://nuba.morfeo-project.org.
- OPTIMIS project “Optimized Infrastructure Services” (2010-2012). European Union funded project. The project focuses on open, scalable and dependable service platforms and architectures that allow flexible and dynamic provision of advanced services with the goal of satisfying key societal and economical needs. The OPTIMIS innovations can be summarized as a combination of technologies to create a dependable ecosystem of providers and consumers that will be the foundation of an efficacious operation of services and infrastructures. OPTIMIS provides a revolutionizing foundation for a reliable,auditable, sustainable, and trustful cloud market for a smart planet.
- VENUS-C: (2010-2012). European Union funded project. The project will develop and deploy a Cloud Computing service for research and industry communities in Europe by offering an industrial-quality service-oriented platform based on virtualisation technologies.
- IBM project “Performance Management of Data-Analytic Programming Models in Cloud Environments” (2010-2011). The project will focus on the expansion of large scale data analytics and management challenges posed by the mix of heterogeneous applications in the scope of hybrid data centers.
- BG/ASF joint research project (BSC – IBM) with the Scalable Data-centric Computing department at IBM TJ Watson research lab (Yorktown, NY). Active Storage Fabrics (ASF) is a collection of components that surround a parallel in-memory database (PIMD). PIMD is a parallel client, parallel server, key/value object store. This research is part of the MareIncognito research framework between IBM and BSC.
- Member of the Management Committee of EU COST IC804 action “Energy efficiency in large scale distributed systems”. (2009-2012). This action aims to foster original research initiatives addressing energy awareness/savings in the field of energy efficiency in distributed systems.
- SORMA Project: Self-Organizing ICT Resource Management STREP Project for FP6-2005-IST-5 Call with contract 034286. European Partners: Cardiff University, Correlation Systems, Hebrew University, Research Center at the BFM Bayreuth, Research Center for Information Technologies, Sun Microsystems, Swedish Institute of Computer Science, TXT e-Solutions, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, University of Reading, University of New South Wales, Barcelona Supercomputing Center. (2006-2009)
- LAgrid network: Adaptive Systems for heterogeneous containers and workloads. an international multi-disciplinary research community and virtual computing grid enabling institutions and industry to extend beyond their individual reach to facilitate collaborative IT research, education and workforce development. (2006-2009).
- SOW ADAPTSYS: Adaptive Systems with IBM (T.J. Watson Labs, NY) (2006-2008). In this project we are introducing adaptability techniques into application servers hosted in shared data centers ( Up to tens of thousands nodes with applications sharing nodes) that are managing hetero heterogeneous environment workloads and containers (2006-2009).
- BREIN project: Business objective driven REliable and Intelligent Grids for real BusiNess. Integrated Project for FP6-2005-IST-5 IP. Our grup participate in the adaptive resorce management part. European partners: Telefónica Investigación y Desarrollo, Höchstleistungsrechenzentrum der Universität Stuttgart HLRS, University of Manchester, ADEI Consultoria S.L., Flughafen Stuttgart GmbH ,ANSYS ,BOC Asset Management ,Barcelona Supercomputing Center , Centro di Ricerca in Matematica Pura ed Applicata, DATAMAT S.p.A., IT Innovation Centre, Poznan Supercomputing and Networking Center, University of Hohenheim. (2006-2009).
- XtreemOS project: Building and Promoting a Linux-based Operating System to Support Virtual Organizations for Next Generation Grids. Integrated Project for FP6-2005-IST-5 IP. Our group is in charge of the porting the eBusiness applications. European partners: Caisse des Dépôts et Consignation, Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique, Council for the Central Laboratory of the Research Councils, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company, Electricité de France, Edge-IT, NEC High Performance Computing, Europe GmbH, SAP, Barcelona Supercomputing Center, Universität Ulm, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, XLAB, Konrad-Zuse-Zentrum für Informationstechnik Berlin, T6 Italy, Institute of Computing Technology of Chinese, Academy of Sciences, Red Flag Software, Telefónica I+D, Heinrich-Heine Universität Düsseldorf . (2006-2010).
- Network of excellence CoreGrid: European Research Network on Foundations, Software Infrastructures and Applications for large scale distributed, GRID and Peer-to-Peer Technologies. Network of Excellence” (NoE) del 6th Framework Program. Our group only works in the area of Autonomic Computing. 42 EU partners involved. (2005-2009).
Past and Current National Research Grants
- “Explotación del Paralelismo en Arquitecturas de Alta Velocidad”(CICYT) TIC-299/89. (1990 – 1992).
- “Arquitectura y Compilación para Supercomputadores”(CICYT) TIC-0880/92 (1992 -1995).
- “Computación de Altas Prestaciones” (CICYT) TIC-95-429 (1995-1998).
- “Acción Integrada Hispano-Britanica 1995-1996: Distribución Automática de Datos para Computadores de Altas Prestaciones”. 163 B.
- Computación de Altas Prestaciones II” (CICYT) TIC-98-511 (1998-2001).
- “Computación de Altas Prestaciones III” (CICYT) TIC2001-0995. (2001-2004).
- “Grup de recerca de Qualitat” CIRIT GRQ95-00402 (1995-1997).
- “Grup de recerca de Qualitat” CIRIT 1997 SGR-00005 (1997-1999).
- “Grup de recerca de Qualitat” CIRIT 1999 SGR-00128(1999-2001).
- “CAP-BASIC”.PROFIT- FIT-070000-2001-190. with IBM (2001-2003).
- “Computación de Altas Prestaciones IV: Arquitecturas, Compiladores, Sistemas Operativos, Herramientas y Aplicaciones” TIN2004-07739-C02-01 (2005-2007).
- “Computación de Altas Prestaciones V:” con el contrato TIN2007-60625 (2007- 2012).
- “Computación de Altas Prestaciones VI” con el contrato TIN2012-34557, del ministerio de Economía y Competitividad(2013- *).
- Grupo de investigación consolidado 2009SGR-1027 de la Generalitat de Catalunya (2009-2014).
- Spanish Research Grant “Computación de Altas Prestaciones VI” under contract TIN2012-34557, from Spanish goverment (2013- 2017).
- Catalan Research Grant 2014-SGR-1051 de grup de recerca consolidat (2014-2018).
Old projects with industry and EU
(Research and Technology Transfer):
- “Automatic Data Distribution for the CONVEX MPP”. Convex Computer Corporation (1993-1995).
- “AIXtrace to Paraver Translator” with Laurence Livermore National Lab. (2003-2004)
- “Performance-Critical Applications of Parallel Architectures”. Esprit BRA 6634 (1992 -1995).
- “PERMPAR” .UPC, CESCA, INTES, IRCN, Bureau Veritas. ESPRIT (1994-1995).
- “PARMAT” Efficient Handling of Large Matrices on High Parallel Computer Systems in the PERMAS Code ESPRIT. Partners: INTES Ingenieurgesellschaft für Technische Software mbH (GE), CEPBA-UPC (ES), Institut de Recherches de la Construction Navale (FR), Bureau Veritas (FR), Structural Engineering (Norway), Dinalis (FR). (1997-1998).
Expert Advisor and Consultant
He has a consultative and strategy role with a visionary task related to next generation technology and its impact. He is both a creative thinker and influential collaborator base on that he has worn many hats throughout his long career. He acts as an expert advisor and teaches on these topics for various organizations, companies and mentors entrepreneurs.
Appointments as Expert and Technology Consultant
At present, he acts as an Analytics Advisor at the IThinkUPC company.
He has held several appointments as an independent expert. Some of the featured are: European Comission (Information Society and Media Directorate) in the preparation of the Work Programme 2011-2012 for the area “Disruptive Solutions for Energy Efficient ICT” – Future Emerging Technologies Proactive (2010 final report here); Friends of Europe’s Greening Europe Forum at “Greening Europe – Roundtable Opportunities and challenges of greening ICT” (2011); Swiss Academy of Engineefing Science (2012-2013); Fundació Centre Tecnològic de Catalunya (for elaborating white papers); “Comissió d’Innovació del Consell de la Cultura de Barcelona” commission of the Barcelona’s town hall (2013-2014); Member of the Steering Committee IEEE -TCSC Technical Area of Green Computing (2010 –2013).
He has been elected as a technology evaluator by many organisations and companies. Some of the featured are Ministerio de Ciencia y Tecnologia of Spain, Dirección General de Investigación of Community of Madrid , Universitat Jaume I de Castelló (Spain), Departament d’Universitats i Recerca de la Generalitat de Catalunya, Fundació La Caixa, Autoritat Catalana de Protecció de Dades, Science Foundation Ireland.
He is doing technology consulting at Spanish companies and member of management boards (e.g. UPCnet management board during 2011-2013 and 2018-), member of the advisory boards (e.g. Barcelona Big Data Center of Excellence) or mentoring of entrepreneurs.
Customised in-house Training
He organises and teaches customized in-house training (English, Español and Català) to meet the particular technology knowledge needs of a certain company or institution.
Technology Transfer and Management at the University
As a research manager at BSC he is has participated in a number of competitive EU/Spanish calls and Networks of Excellence, a lot of them involve University-Industry Technology Transference . Before being manager at BSC, he was a member of the European Center for Parallelism of Barcelona (CEPBA) (1994-2004) and a member of the board of managers of CEPBA-IBM Research Institute (CIRI) (2000-2004). During 1992-2000 he has been the coordinator of the promotion and dissemination of technology at European Center for Parallelism of Barcelona (CEPBA).
He has been Vice-dean of Institutional Relations at the Computer Science School (1998- 2001) and a member of the University Senate (Claustre) and member of the Board of Governors (Junta de Govern) (2011-2013). He has also participated in numerous university management activities and institutional representation. He is member of the BSC-CNS Access Committee core team.
Participation in Conferences organization
- The Deep Learning of Supercomputers Workshop. In conjuntion with SC’19, Nov 17th, 2019. Denver CO, USA. Organizing Committee.
- The Deep Learning For Science Workshop. In conjunction with ISC’19, Frankfurt, Germany. June 20, 2019. Organizing Committee.
- 1st Deep Learning on Supercomputers Workshop. In conjunttion with SC18, Dallas, Texas. November 16 2018. Organizing Commitee.
- 2013 IEEE International Conference on Big Data (IEEE BigData 2013). Tutorial co-chair.
- CGC2011 – International Conference on Cloud and Green Computing, Dec. 12-14, 2011, Melbourne Australia. Steering Committee.
- 2010 IEEE International Workshop on Green Computing (GreenComp’10) associated with HPCC’10, Melbourne, Australia, Sep. 1-3, 2010. Steering Committee.
- Workshop Grids Meet Autonomic Computing. Barcelona, Spain, 15 June 2009. Web chair.
- “Seventh IEEE International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid” (CCGrid 2007). Rio de Janeiro – Brazil / May 14-17, 2007. Posters and Exhibits Chair .
- “3rd International Conference on Self-Organization and Autonomous Systems in Computing and Communications (SOAS’2007)”, IEEE. Leipzig, Germany, September 24-27, 2007. Program co-Chair.
- “Computing Frontiers 2006” (ACM) , Ischia, Italia, 3-5 Mayo 2006. Publicity Chair.
- IBM SP Scientific Computing User Group (SciComp). Barcelona, 8-11 Mayo 2001. Organizing committee.
- VI Jornadas de Paralelismo. Barcelona, 2-3 Julio 1995. Organizing committee.
- Primeras Jornadas de Paralelismo. Sitges (Barcelona), 23-25 Octubre 1990. Organizing committee.
Program Committee member of
- 10th IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD 2017) June 25-June 30, 2017. Honolulu, HI, USA
- 9th IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD 2016), June 27-July 2, 2016. San Francisco, USA. Program Committee.
- The 2016 IEEE International Conference on Cloud and Big Data Computing (IEEE CBDCom), July 18th – July 21st 2016. Toulouse, France. Program Committee.
- IEEE International Conference on Multimedia Big Data (BigMM2015). Beijing, China, April 2015. Program Committee.
- 12th ACM/IEEE/USENIX International Conference on Autonomic Computing. ICAC 2015. July 7-10, 2015 in Grenoble, France. program committee.
- Workshop “High Performance Graph Mining”, i tindrà lloc dintre del “21st ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining” a Syndey, 10 d’Agost 2015. Program Committee.
- 3rd International Workshop on Citizen Networks – CitiNet. 25th September 2014, Lucca Italy. Program Committee.
- The 2014 IEEE International Symposium on Network Computing and Applications (NCA14). Cambridge, MA, USA, on 21-23 August 2014. Program Committee.
- 6th IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science (IEEE CloudCom) 2014 (Big Data Track) to be held on December 15th-18th, 2014 in Singapore. Program Committee.
- 2014 High Performance Computing & Simulation Conference (HPCS 2014) is to be held July 21-25, 2014, in Bologna, Italy. Program Committee.
- 19th IEEE Workshop on Dependable Parallel, Distributed and Network-Centric Systems (DPDNS14), Program Committee.
- 2nd workshop on Extreme Green & Energy Efficiency in Large Scale Distributed Systems (ExtremeGreen2014), 2014. Program Committee.
- 11th International Conference on Autonomic Computing (ICAC 2014), June 18th-20th Philadelphia, PA, USA. Program Committee
- IEEE International Conference on Green Computing and Communications 2013: Storage, Big Data, and Cloud Computing. which will will be held in Beijing, China during August 20-23, 2013. Program Committee.
- 2013 IEEE International Conference on Big Data (IEEE BigData 2013). Program Committee.
- ExtremeGreen: Extreme Green & Energy Efficiency in Large Scale Distributed Systems. May 13-16, 2013, Delft, The Netherlands. Program Commitee.
- 8th International Conference on Network and Service Management (CNSM). Las Vegas, USA. 22-26 October 2012. Program Commitee.
- 17th IEEE Workshop on Dependable Parallel, Distributed and Network-Centric Systems. Shanghai, China. May 21-25, 2012. Program Commitee.
- First international workshop on power-aware systems and architectures (PASA) in conjunction with the international conference on parallel processing (ICPP’12). Pittsburgh, PA, USA September 10-13, 2012. Program Commitee.
- Second Workshop on Management of Cloud Systems (MoCS 2012), July 1st 2012 Cappadocia, Turkey .Organized in association with the Seventeenth IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC 2012). Program Commitee.
- 3rd International Conference on Green IT Solutions (ICGREEN’12) in Geneva. Switzerland 2nd-3rd of Jul 2012. Program Commitee.
- 2nd International Conference on ICT as Key Technology against Global Warming – (ICT-GLOW 2012) Vienna, Austria . September 3rd-7th, 2012. Program Commitee.
- CAGing : Collaborative and Autonomic Green computing” track during the WETICE 2012 (21st IEEE Intentional Conference on Collaboration Technologies and Infrastructures) Toulouse, 25-27 June 2011. Program Commitee.
- The 3rd International Conference on Future Energy Systems: Where Energy, Computing and Communication Meet. e-Energy 2012 will take place in Madrid on 9-11 May 2012. Program Commitee.
- The First International Conference on ICT as Key Technology for the Fight against Global Warming (ICT-GLOW’11), Toulouse, France. August 29-September 2, 2011. Program Commitee.
- Second International Conference on Energy-Efficient Computing and Networking, e-Energy 2011, Columbia University from May 30 to June 1, 2011. Program Commitee.
- Seventh IEEE Workshop on High-Performance, Power-Aware Computing (HP-PAC), May 16 – 20, 2011. Anchorage, Alaska, USA. Program Commitee.
- First IEEE Workshop on Management of Cloud Systems (MoCS 2011) organized in association with the Fifteenth IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC 2011) 28 June 2011 – Kerkyra (Corfu) Greece
- 1st IEEE/ACM Workshop on Autonomic Computing for Economics. Co-located with the The 8th International Conference on Autonomic Computing (ICAC) which takes place in Karlsruhe, Germany between the 14th and 18th of June 2011.Program Commitee.
- Second International Conference on Energy‐Efficient Computing and Networking Columbia University, New York, USA May 4 ‐ 6, 2011. Program Committee.
- 7th Workshop on High-Performance, Power-Aware Computing (HPPAC 2011) to be held May 16, 2011 in Anchorage, Alaska, USA, in conjunction with the 25th Annual International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2011). Program Commitee.
- 11th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid 2011) , Newport Beach, California, May 23-26, 2011.
- First International Conference on Energy-AwareHigh Performance Computing. ENA-HPC 2010. Hamburg, Germany, September 16-17, 2010. Program Committee.
- 2010 IEEE International Workshop on Green Computing (GreenComp’10) associated with HPCC’10, Melbourne, Australia, Sep. 1-3, 2010. Program Committee.
- 6th workshop on High-Performance Power-Aware Computing (HPPAC 2010), to be held Apr. 19th, 2010 in Atlanta, Georgia, in conjunction with the 24th Annual International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2010). Program Committee.
- 1st Int’l Conf. on Energy-Efficient Computing and Networking (e-Energy 2010). University of Passau, Germany. April 13-15, 2010. Program Committee.
- The 7th International Conference Advance Computing and Communication (ADCOM 2009). 14-18 December 2009. Bangalore, India. Energy Efficient: Computing Systems, Data Centres & Operating Systems Track. Program Commitee.
- The 6th IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Management of Networks and Services. CNSM 2010. Niagara Falls, Canada, October 2010. Program Committee.
- The 9th IEEE International Symposium on Network Computing and Applications (NCA10) 15 – 17 July 2010, Cambridge, MA, USA. Program Committee.
- The second edition of Grids Meet Autonomic Computing (GMAC)in association with ICAC 2010, Washington DC, USA. June 2010. Program Committee.
- Workshop on Isolation and Integration for Dependable Systems (IIDS), Co-located with EuroSys’2010. Paris, France, April 13, 2010. Program Committee.
- Workshop on Dependable Parallel Distributed and Network Centric Systems – DPDNS’2010 – April, 2010 Ohio State University, USA, in conjunction with IPDPS. Programme Committee.
- The 10th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing to be held in May 2010 in Melbourne, Australia. CCGRID 2010. Program Committee.
- The 11th International Symposium on Stabilization, Safety, and Security of Distributed Systems (SSS 2009). Autonomic Computational Science track. Lyon, France, November 3-6, 2009. Program Commitee.
- “Fourth International Conference on Grid computing, high-performance and Distributed Applications (GADA’09)”. Nov 2 – 6, 2009, Portugal. Program Commitee.
- The 6th International Conference on Autonomic Computing and Communications (ICAC-09) Barcelona, Spain June 15-19, 2009. Program Committee.
- Workshop Grids Meet Autonomic Computing. Barcelona, Spain, 15 June 2009. Program Committee.
- 11th International Symposium on Stabilization, Safety, and Security of Distributed Systems (SSS 2009), Autonomic Computation Science track. Lyon, France, November 03-06, 2009. Program Committee.
- 5th International Conference on Self-organization and Adaptation of Computing and Communications (SACC 2009) Leipzig, Germany, 23-25 March 2009 , Program Committee.
- 24th Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing. Special Track: Wireless Sensor Networks, self-organisation and emergence (WSN) Waikiki Beach, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA. March 8 – 12, 2009, Program Committee.
- 3rd International Conference on Complex Distributed Systems (CODS 2009). Leipzig, Germany, 23-25 March 2009. Program Committee.
- VTDS’09: EuroSys Workshop on Virtualization Technology for Dependable Systems Co-located with EuroSys 2009, Nuremberg, Germany. Programm Committee
- DPDNS’09 Workshop on Dependable Parallel Distributed and Network Centric Systems – May, 2009 , Roma , Italy in conjunction with IPDPS. Programme Committee.
- The Second International Workshop on Adaptive Systems in Heterogeneous Environments (ASHEs) 16-19 March, 2009, Fukuoka, Japan. Program Committee
- First International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUDCOMP 2009) October 19 – 21, 2009, Munich, Germany. Program Commitee
- “2005 IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing and Communications” (HPCC-05), Sorrento, Italia. 21-23 Septiembre 2005. Program Commitee
- “2006 ACM International Conference on Computing Frontiers” (CF-06) Ischia, Italia. 3-5 Mayo 2006. Program Commitee
- “Seventh IEEE International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid” (CCGrid 2007) Rio de Janeiro – Brazil / May 14-17, 2007. Program Commitee
- “The 4th IEEE International Conference on Autonomic Computing” (ICAC). Jacksonville, Florida, USA June 11-15, 2007. Program Commitee
- “4th International Conference on Autonomic and Trusted Computing” (ATC-07). IEEE conference. Hong Kong, China, July 11-13, 2007. Program Commitee
- “Second International Conference on Grid computing, high-performance and Distributed Applications” (GADA’07). In conjunction with OnTheMove Federated Conferences (OTM’07). 28 oct-2 Nov 2007. Program Commitee
- “13th International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems” (ICPADS’2007). December 5 – 7, 2007, Hsinchu , Taiwan. Program Commitee
- “2007 International Conference on Complex Open Distributed Systems” (CODS’2007), July 22-24 2007, Chengdu, China. Program Commitee
- “Workshop on Economics Models and Algorithms for Grid Systems” (EMAGS), 20-21 September 2007, Austin, TX, USA. Program Commitee
- “14th Annual IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing” (HiPC07), 18-21 September 2007, Goa, India. Program Commitee
Journals reviewer in the area
He also served as a reviewer for relevant journals in the area as:
- IEEE Transactions on Computers,
- IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems,
- IEEE Transactions on Multimedia
- Concurrency and Computation-Practice and Experience,
- Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing,
- International Journal of Autonomic Computing,
- among other.